Tribute on a budget

How do you like my tribute to Reachy?
Dynamixel (AX-18) pan&tilt head with 2 Logitech cameras. He should support and motivate my studies in ROS and OpenCV :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Woa thatā€™s really nice!

What kind of camera are you using?

Thanks Matthieu! I went for 2xLogitech C615. When disassembled, they perfectly fit into your original frame (with my custom eyebulbs for joining)

2 Likes

Mind sharing your modified files and pan tilt setup info? Any changes or updates since?

Hi, sloooow progress due to lack of time. :dizzy_face:
What I did is far from being sharedā€¦ anyway here it is, thanks for asking.
I quickly drew a support for dynamixel ax-18 that fits in the torso with no modifications. But as Iā€™m planning to go for XL-430 I think will drop this design.
IMG_0451
base.stl (822.4 KB) joint.stl (394.6 KB)

3 Likes

Are you using the same motors for the antenna? Or did you find something cheaper?

Hi @AlbertoD,
Currently weā€™re using this motor which costs 24$ for Reachyā€™s antennas.
Cheers

1 Like

Iā€™m using the xl-320 with a LM2596 Step down voltage regulator.

1 Like

Thanks!, I am starting to build a version of this robot, and i am having doubts on how to control the dynamixel motors, i will use a raspberry pi 3B with ubuntu server as the ā€œbrainsā€, and i have seen a couple of options, like using a USB communication converter (U2D2 - ROBOTIS or DYNAMIXEL Starter Set [INTL] ) or using a small circuit that converts full-duplex into half-duplex like 74LS241, the last one seems more complex.
How do you control the motors?

Hi! Iā€™m actually on a different project, nevertheless I had started to implement the dynamixel control for the robotā€™s head.
I considered 2 options:

• Arbotix-M by Trossen Robotics (ArbotiX-M Robocontroller)
  • ros_control: but you need your hardware interface (and Iā€™m not able to write it)

I decided to go for ros_control as I wanted my Reachy to be fully ROS standard. I found a good dynamixel hw interface here GitHub - resibots/dynamixel_control_hw: Hardware interface for ros_control and the Dynamixels actuators
Be prepared to waste some nights on it! :slight_smile: